Canadian Advantage
Skilled Worker
Business Class
Family Class
Immigration Assessment
 
 
 

2005-05

CANADA WELCOMED ALMOST 236,000 NEW PERMANENT RESIDENTS IN 2004

OTTAWA, March 7, 2005 — The Honourable Joe Volpe, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, today announced the preliminary figures for permanent resident admissions in 2004. The current numbers for admissions to Canada are 235,808, well within the planned range of 220,000 to 245,000 announced to Parliament on October 30, 2003. Although these are preliminary numbers, they are usually very close to the final numbers, which will be released in the spring of 2005.

“The year 2004 marks the fifth year in a row that the planned immigration levels have been met or exceeded,” said Minister Volpe. “Newcomers to Canada each year not only contribute to our cultural mosaic, but also help to make Canada more prosperous and internationally competitive. It’s therefore important to ensure that our immigration program continues to function in a balanced, predictable and well-managed way,” he added.

The preliminary numbers show that immigrants in the economic classes (which includes applicants and their families) represented approximately 57% of all new arrivals to Canada in 2004. Immigrants in the family and refugee classes, as well as those who received humanitarian and compassionate consideration, comprised the remaining 43% of all new arrivals. Last year, Canada welcomed almost 33,000 refugees, 26% more than in 2003. This increase demonstrates the government’s ongoing commitment to providing protection to those in genuine need.

The number of permanent residents admitted under provincial nominee agreements and the Canada-Quebec Accord continues to grow. In 2004, just over 50,000 immigrants were admitted to Canada under these agreements, a 15% increase over 2003. This shows the Government of Canada’s continuing commitment to collaborating with the provinces and territories on immigration programs.

“Overall, the preliminary numbers indicate a very good year for Citizenship and Immigration, and further demonstrate that our levels plan is solid and successful,” said Minister Volpe. “All Canadians should feel proud that so many people chose to make this country their home in 2004.”

-30-

For further information (media only):

Stephen Heckbert
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister
(613) 954-1064

Maria Iadinardi
Media Relations
Communications Branch
(613) 952-0740